Variations on a Theme of Rice Krispies


While our oven was broken, I had to switch to making no-bake desserts to share at gatherings or with friends. First I made Rice Krispies treats using a combination of Peeps and regular marshmallows, which I've also tried before.

But this time, I also added 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk, which I read helps the treats to stay softer longer. I would definitely recommend this trick, as the treats were nice and soft, but it does leave you with an odd amount of condensed milk afterwards.

To use up more of the cereal and the condensed milk, I made a variation of these chocolate peanut butter cereal bars. In my version, I used a mixture of Rice Krispies and oats, and mostly sweetened condensed milk with a little bit of honey.

Instead of chocolate chips, I used two Lindt milk chocolate bars, as they were leftover from barbecue s'mores. And I put the chocolate in between two layers of the cereal mix, rather than on the top. This was definitely a good idea, as the cereal layer tended to crumble. Maybe I should use honey next time as called for!

Comments

Popular Posts