Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats


Years ago I tried making fried eggplant parmesan on the stove, which was rather labor-intensive as you had to batter and fry each slice. As a simpler and healthier(?) alternative, recently I made baked eggplant parmesan halves, modified from a Smitten Kitchen recipe.

First I roasted the eggplant halves in the oven while making the tomato sauce on the stove. Normally I use regular fresh tomatoes, but this time I used cherry tomatoes, which were very tasty. Once the sauce was ready, I added it to the eggplant. Then I sprinkled on the cheese and breadcrumbs and returned the dishes to the oven until the cheese melted.

To go with the eggplant, I made buckwheat with parsley. It was a nice change from pasta, which we eat more regularly, and also a good source of whole grains. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts