Nigella's Moroccan vegetable pot


I'd been wanting to make Nigella Lawson's Moroccan vegetable pot for quite some time. However, it seemed rather wintry in some ways and I knew I'd need to make several substitutions, so it took a while for me to try it.

Parsnips aren't that easy to find in Hong Kong, so I just used more carrots, potatoes and eggplant instead. I also don't have saffron, so I added turmeric (as well as ground cinnamon instead of cinnamon sticks). 

I've never bought preserved lemons in Hong Kong, or anywhere else for that matter. I knew I probably didn't need a whole big jar, so I just made a quick version instead. As I'm not familiar with the real thing, I'm not sure if they were a good substitute or not.

Overall, the vegetable pot was pretty tasty. However, it was very very lemony, especially if you got a bite including the fake preserved lemon peel. If and when I make this again, I'll probably just stick with fresh lemon juice and that would be plenty of citrus flavor.

Comments

Popular Posts