British chicken casserole

 plate of chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, celery in gravy


To me, a Midwesterner, a casserole is a dish baked in a rectangular glass/metal pan. It can be a side dish or a main dish, but everything is mixed together and then usually becomes a bit solidified (as with a broccoli cheese casserole or tater tot casserole).

However, in the UK, a casserole seems to be something more like a stew made of meat and vegetables. David really likes the chicken casseroles that his mum makes, so in a recent package from home, we got some of the casserole seasonings to try.

Colman's chicken casserole packet

I made very few variations from the recipe on the packet. Instead of using four chicken pieces, I used two very large chicken breasts, which we later cut up before serving. I also added some celery to the carrots and onions cooked with the meat.

My first UK-style chicken casserole turned out very well, though I suppose it's hard to mess up a packet meal. The chicken was very tender after pan-frying and baking with the veggies, and there was lots of lovely gravy/sauce to go with the mashed potatoes I made.

chicken casserole with carrots, celery, onions, gravy

Comments

Popular Posts