Ooey gooey butter cake

 Squares of gooey butter cake in a metal tin

I rarely buy boxed cake mixes in Hong Kong, as they're quite expensive compared to home. Plus I normally bake sweet treats from scratch. But I recently found a yellow cake mix on sale and decided it would come in useful at some point.

Instead of making a plain yellow cake, I thought I'd try a St. Louis gooey butter cake. I've certainly eaten and known about them in the past, but I've never made one before. 

So I found a recipe on Delish to try. It seemed like it should be similar to the cakes I've had before, as they were probably based on a cake mix. I've also seen recipes for gooey butter cakes made from scratch, but maybe I'll try one of those next time. 

The cake was fairly easy to make, and I even used my electric mixer as suggested (often I just mix things by hand). My baking dish is a bit smaller than a 9x13 pan, but it normally works just fine. In this case, the cake took a bit longer than the recommended 40 minutes to firm up on top, and actually I think I could've left it in a few minutes longer.

Nevertheless, the cake was certainly tasty, as well as very gooey and buttery. So I kept it in the fridge to help it stay a bit firmer. Plus, there's no air conditioning in our kitchen, so it certainly lasted longer in the cool.

Glass baking dish containing gooey butter cake

Comments

Popular Posts