Kale Soup, Again

As you know, I bought too much kale for the minestrone soup I made last week. So, this week, the task was to prepare another soup with kale, to make sure it didn't spoil and go to waste. I searched www.foodnetwork.com and www.marthastewart.com to find different ideas for kale soup. I came across many, but Martha's Kale, White Bean and Sweet Potato Soup sounded the best and the most different from last week's soup.

It turned out that I really didn't follow her recipe, so here is mine. Normally, I don't use canned beans, but it was just a lot easier this week. Also, I use the chicken bouillon not broth to try to limit the sodium content. Overall, I think the soup turned out quite well, though the rosemary fragrance is a little stronger than I would wish.

Kale and Sweet Potato Soup

2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 bunch kale (3/4 to 1 pound), chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Water
Chicken bouillon granules
Rosemary
Salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in soup pot. Add garlic, onion and sweet potatoes. Saute until potatoes begin to soften.

2. Add kale and beans. Add enough water to make soup, probably about 6 cups.

3. Season with bouillon, rosemary, salt and pepper. Let simmer until potatoes and kale are cooked through.

Comments

Popular Posts