Souper Sunday

Last winter I made soup almost every Sunday to eat through the week, and as it's been pretty chilly for fall, I decided it was time to start making soup again. I came across this recipe during my soup making earlier in the year, but only recently found the wheat berries to use in it. It turned out very tasty, even though I heartily skimped on the chicken broth — I tend to do that because it has so much sodium in it. I also didn't use the Parmesan cheese rind because I didn't have one on hand. I ended up buying way too much kale for this recipe, so more kale soup is probably in store for next week.

Winter Minestrone Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
4 ounces shaved deli ham, chopped
3 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup wheat berries, rinsed
1 Parmesan cheese rind, optional
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil
1 (1-pound) bag kale, chopped

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, celery, carrots and ham. Saute 10 minutes.

2. Add water, broth, wheat berries, cheese rind, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until wheat berries are tender.

3. Stir in tomatoes and kale; cook until thoroughly heated. Makes 16 cups.

Comments

  1. Alright, you want kale soup? You should make Olive Garden's zuppa tuscana. If you want the recipe, send me a Facebook message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts