A Food Day Hit

As most readers probably know, I'm not the biggest fan of processed and pre-prepared foods. They usually contain much more sugar and salt than is needed, and that certainly is not healthy. Well, when I tried my sweetened condensed milk experiment earlier this year, my stepmom purchased several cans of the stuff for me, although I did not ask her to. So, last night I finally used the last remaining can of the stuff to make Eagle Brand's chocolate oatmeal bars, which I brought to work for food day. We have food days for Christmas, but also when anyone is leaving, and tomorrow is the business manager's last day.

Anyway, the bars turned out very delicious, though they were a little difficult to remove from the pan. I feel like I might spray it with nonstick spray, if I ever make these again, even though the recipe says not to. And, it's not just me who likes the treats, as I've received several compliments from my coworkers:) My mouth, though certainly not my waist, hopes there will be a few left over to take home.

Chocolate 'N' Oat Bars

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 350ºF (325ºF for glass dish). Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and butter in large bowl; mix well. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Reserve 1/2 cup oat mixture and press remainder onto bottom of ungreased 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 10 minutes.

2. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crust. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips; top with reserved oat mixture; press down firmly. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars.

Comments

Popular Posts