The Scoop on Frozen Custard

While I was in college, I spent three summers and one semester (I think) working at Shake's Frozen Custard . Although my friends who worked there grew to hate it, I never did. For the most part, I enjoyed being surrounded by custard and tons of toppings, and turning them into something tasty to eat. Of course, we as workers were not supposed to eat without paying...but, we certainly found ways around that. And, because I was exposed to a large amount of delicious, creamy vanilla custard for so long, I am now quite difficult to please when it comes to eating ice cream.

I find most of the stuff in the freezer cases at the grocery store to be full of air and too sticky; that doesn't mean I don't eat it, however. Dairy Queen's soft serve is a bit watery, in my opinion, much less rich than frozen custard. Andy's, a favorite in southwest Missouri, isn't quite as good as Shake's either, but it will do in a pinch. This weekend, though, I went to Scoops, a somewhat out-of-the-way custard establishment in Sedalia. I may have just really wanted a hot fudge sundae, but I think that the custard I ate at Scoops was pretty darn delicious. It could've maybe been a little eggier or vanilla-flavored, but the texture was very smooth and creamy and wonderful. So, the next time you're in Sedalia, if ever, check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts