Spring has Sprung

With a week of forecasted weather all in the 70s and 80s, it's pretty safe to say spring has arrived. I think that means that it's officially past soup-making time--sorry friends who sent me recipes that I never got to:( I will try to do better again next winter, perhaps. That is only perhaps because there is a possibility that I may be teaching abroad this upcoming school year, and who knows what I'll be able to cook. And because of that possibility, I am trying to use up all the ingredients in my freezer/pantry, so that I will have less to move, if I do.

So, this recipe, from www.wholeliving.com, worked pretty well for me, as I already had peas and barley. I substituted frozen spinach for the asparagus, because I also had it on hand, and then I only had to buy the leeks (actually onion) and cheese. I was expecting the dish to be tasty, and I was certainly not disappointed. It is very, very yummy and also springy-looking, which is nice. I of course am eating it as a main dish, but it would also be a nice side dish I'd say.

Spring Barley Risotto

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup pearled barley
2 leeks, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine or water
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut on bias into 2-inch pieces
1 box (10 ounces) frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan
1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves, plus small leaves for garnish

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add barley and leeks; cook until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add wine; cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water; bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid absorbs, about 10 minutes.

2. Add broth and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender and creamy, about 10 minutes. Add asparagus; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas until heated through. Add Parmesan and mint; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with mint leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts