Eat Like A Man

Photo courtesy www.esquire.com

I have been a regular reader of Esquire magazine since 2008; so much so that I didn't even cancel my subscription after moving to Hong Kong. I only just transferred it to my father's address this past December. My favorite pieces are the always well-written feature stories and humorous essays on culture, politics, etc.

Another regular part of Esquire is "Eat Like A Man," and though it is quite meat-heavy and often somewhat unhealthy, I always read it. I find their masculine attitude towards food interesting and entertaining, even if I don't always agree.

The October 2011 edition of Esquire featured this recipe for meatballs, and being a lover of spaghetti and meatballs, as well as meatball subs, I figured it was worth a try. I finally got around to making it this evening for David and me. The recipe was a bit labor-intensive, and though it was good, I don't know that these were the best meatballs I've ever eaten. Perhaps because I didn't get any veal to add to the mixture.

To accompany the meatballs, I made Esquire's recommended tomato sauce as well. It was simple to prepare and very tasty, as red sauce always is. When baked along with the meatballs, the bits of tomato in the sauce charred slightly, just enough to be even more delicious. I served it all atop penne pasta, rather than with crusty bread as suggested, but perhaps I'll try the alternative with the leftovers.

Comments

Popular Posts