Pancake Day

Photo courtesy of www.jamieoliver.com

It was only this morning that I realized today is Mardi Gras, or Shrove Tuesday. Needless to say the holiday is not a big one here in Hong Kong. But, I do have fond memories of working the Shepherd of the Hills Episcopal Church annual pancake dinner every year on this day during my junior high and high school days. Last year, a group of my friends and I gathered to have pancakes--however, the cooks being English, the "pancakes" were actually what I would call crepes.

This year, with no such event planned, I made a last-minute decision to cook pancakes for myself for breakfast/lunch before heading to work at 11:45. I remembered this recipe from British chef Jamie Oliver, which I saw featured on his TV program this past fall. My two changes: bananas instead of pears and regular flour with 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda to make the batter rise.

Plus, I ate my pancakes with fake maple syrup instead of yogurt and honey. I also added a bit of peanut butter to some of them for a little protein. And, they were definitely delicious. I am glad there is some batter left over to have them again tomorrow morning!

Comments

Popular Posts