A Surprise Wedding Shower

This past Monday evening, I went to a pseudo wedding shower for one of my female colleagues. Basically, it was just a surprise dinner for her after she got French nails in preparation for her wedding this weekend.

We ate at Flame, which is a restaurant owned by Towngas, the local gas company (they also do cooking classes, which is something I may have to look into). The restaurant had a regular a la carte menu, but we all ate from the tasting menu, which consisted of sampler plates of appetizers, mains and dessert, plus soup and bread. It was yummy but a bit pricey: $330 HK, or $40+ US.

Additionally, I think because we were a large group, we got a plate of free oysters. I think I have only eaten them fried before, and even then not often, so I was a bit hesitant to have one raw. However, I tried it, and it wasn't as bad as I expected, though it tasted a lot like seawater.

For me, one highlight was the seared scallop appetizer, as scallops are probably my favorite type of seafood. The lamb was the best main course because it was so tender and had a delicious flavor without being too strong. Of the desserts, I preferred the mango flan because it was sweet and fruity with a nice creamy texture.

My first oyster, topped with cocktail sauce and lemon juice.

Scallop, asparagus wrapped in parma ham, fois gras 'bruschetta'

'Cappucino' mushroom soup

Fish in cream sauce, steak with ratatouille, pecan-crusted lamb

Spicy chocolate tart, mango flan, burnt sugar pudding

Comments

Popular Posts