Lovely Lasagna

On Sunday evening, when I asked David what he wanted for dinner, he suggested lasagna (which the British spell as 'lasagne' by the way). I thought about it for a moment, but then I realized that regular lasagna would be too similar to what we had had for lunch: pizza. They both have tomato sauce and lots of cheese.

So, I decided to make an alfredo version of lasagna with lots of good vegetables and maybe a little less cheese in order to be healthier and different. I'm sure that I once read a recipe for pumpkin lasagna, though I didn't find an exact one to follow online. So, I made up my own out of my head and crossed my fingers that it would work.

In the end, the only problem was a minor one: I should have poured a little sauce into the bottom of the glass dish before the first layer of noodles. Then, they wouldn't have gotten a bit hard and crispy. Ah well. But, David seemed to like it very much, despite the lack of meat. Yay!

A photo of leftovers the day after.

Here is an approximate recipe if you'd like to try it. Please note, I didn't measure anything while cooking, so these amounts are guesstimates.

Ingredients

Lasagna noodles
Canola Oil
1/2 small pumpkin, seeded, peeled and cut into small pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
About 2 cups of greens, chopped
Milk
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Nutmeg
4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 an 8-oz. block)

Directions

1. Saute the pumpkin pieces in the canola oil until they are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Saute the onion in canola oil for a few minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.

3. Add enough flour to make a roux, about 3 tablespoons. Cook for 1-2 minutes.

4. Add milk to make an alfredo sauce, maybe 2 cups. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cook until thickened.

5. Add chopped greens. (I used Chinese morning glory, but spinach, kale, etc. would also be fine). Cook for 1-2 minutes.

6. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dash of nutmeg because Rachael Ray always says to in a white sauce.

7. Put the lasagna together in layers in the pan (I was using a round pie plate). First, noodles. Top with some pumpkin and slices of cream cheese. Add more noodles. Then pour over some alfredo sauce. Repeat each step again to use up remaining ingredients.

8. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until noodles are cooked.

Comments

  1. yum! I love pumpkin, I'll have to try this without the cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts