Soup Season Begins

The weather in Hong Kong this past week has gotten a bit cool, though I guess that is a matter of perspective. It has been in the 70s and 80s, which is obviously not at all cold, but the humidity has been practically nonexistent. So, compared with the summer when it is absolutely tropical, this little bit of dry fall air is lovely and refreshing.

Perhaps because of the change of weather, I contracted a head cold. For the past week, I have been sniffling, sneezing and coughing, and so I decided to make vegetable soup for dinner yesterday evening to help me progress further down the road to recovery. And, there are plenty of leftovers for my lunches at work this week.

As per usual with my cooking, I did not use a recipe. Instead, I just used what vegetables I had plus some more to make it all taste good, which I think it did. One trick I learned while making a vegetable soup once in my Marshall kitchen is to add a little bit of vinegar at the end. This adds a little extra flavor to the tomato base, which I think is an especially good idea when you are making a vegetarian soup with no meat for the broth.

To accompany our soup, we ate a side salad, crackers and some delicious Johnsonville summer sausage, which was included in my Halloween package from my dad and stepmom. Yum! On the wrapper, the company suggests visiting their website to find recipes, so perhaps I will do some cooking with it. But it tastes so yummy on its own...

Leftover soup for lunch

Comments

Popular Posts