Korean Rice Cakes with Kimchi


Recently, I had some kimchi, or spicy Korean preserved cabbage, that I wanted to use up in the fridge. So I decided to experiment with Korean rice cakes, or tteokbokki. It is something very delicious I've had in Korean restaurants before, but never made at home.

I knew it was possible to buy the rice cakes themselves in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. However, I found a package that also included the spicy red sauce the cakes are served in. Maybe not the healthiest option, but probably better-tasting than trying to make the sauce myself.

Often, I think tteokbokki is served with seafood, though I've also had it with tofu. I decided to make mine with fried beancurd, another supermarket item I've never bought before but will be using again. Plus, I threw in some carrots, snow peas and bean sprouts for a bit more variety.

This was really yummy, and I will definitely make it again! However, when I microwaved the leftovers a few days later, some of the rice cakes got a bit hard inside and less chewy.

Comments

Popular Posts