Tomayto, Tomahto

A few months ago, a new Chinese-Western restaurant opened just down the block from our apartment in Prince Edward. With a cute exterior and a name like 'Tomato', I was very excited to try it.

We ate there for lunch one Sunday, and I was pleased to see they offered lunch specials on the weekends. However, I actually ordered a special set offered every day for both lunch and dinner.

This set is one of the quintessential Hong Kong breakfast items, a strange but excellent blend of Western and Chinese foods. It is typically two parts Western, an omelet and toast, and one part Chinese, a bowl of noodle soup.


However, my version was mostly Western, as I chose to have tomato soup instead of chicken/pork broth with fusilli pasta instead of ramen noodles. My toast, which I thought came with jam, was in fact topped with peanut butter and condensed milk.


All the food at Tomato, plus my iced milk tea, was very tasty. I definitely want to go back to try one of their signature baked rice dishes. And hopefully I'll make it there to order off the breakfast menu because everything looked great!

Comments

Popular Posts