Homemade kimchi

Earlier in 2020, one of David's co-workers made kimchi and gave us some to try. Since then, I've been considering making it myself and I finally bought gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) in one of the Korean grocery stores in Tsim Sha Tsui. 

There are many recipes online for kimchi, but I didn't want to try one that used raw or dried shrimp or that made a huge amount. This kimchi recipe from the Kitchn seemed fairly straightforward for a beginner's effort.

When I was shopping for vegetables at the wet market, I couldn't find what I think a Napa cabbage looks like. There were only similar cabbages but in a mini size, so I bought two of these instead. For the seasoning, I used a medium amount of 3 tablespoons of gochugaru and a mixture of fish sauce and water to make sure the kimchi wasn't too fishy.

Although there were several steps involved, it wasn't that difficult to make the kimchi. After a few days at room temperature and a week in the fridge, it tastes pretty good but it seems a bit more sour than the store-bought variety.

I used the kimchi to make a Korean version of cold noodles. Instead of egg, I added tofu baked in soy sauce as well as sliced cucumber. And I also made Korean bean sprouts to mix in with the noodles. Very yummy!

Comments

Popular Posts