Tofu and veggies in corn sauce

 Bowl of tofu and vegetables in corn sauce over rice

A common dish at local cha chaan tengs is fried fish fillets with corn sauce over rice. It is certainly different from any Western fish dish, but it's also quite hearty and comforting. (I've written about these yummy Hong Kong-style restaurants before here and here, but apparently not about this dish).

Of course, I can't cook fish because David wouldn't eat it. Instead, I use tofu puffs and veggies (usually carrots, celery, onion and corn). The easy way to make the sauce at home is with Campbell's golden corn soup, water, garlic, ginger and a bit of soy sauce at the end. 

Can of Campbell's golden corn condensed soup

I've made this dish a few times in the past couple of years. Recently, I couldn't find regular carrots at the wet market, so I ended up with red Chinese carrots from the supermarket. They were slightly different (maybe not as strong-tasting?) but still worked just fine.

Bowl of chopped red carrots

Comments

Popular Posts