All-You-Can-Eat Japanese, in Hong Kong



I once thought that all-you-can-eat restaurants were a phenomenon mostly found in America, but there are actually quite a few here in Hong Kong. This past Saturday night I went to one such restaurant in the Japanese style. I have been to a similar place once before, and it is quite fun, though a bit chaotic.

Instead of lining up and getting food off a buffet, you order what you want for your table by checking boxes on little slips of paper, which are color-coded for the category of food: sushi, grilled items, sashimi, dessert, drinks, etc. Then, the wait staff brings the food to you as it is ready, which means that it is usually quite fresh.

We had a huge variety of food on Saturday night: sushi rolls, hand rolls, sashimi of all kinds, teriyaki skewers, grilled corn, shrimp tempura, watermelon ... the list goes on and on. I tried clams for the first time in my life (except for clam chowder, I guess, which I don't really like), and they were quite good actually. One of my favorite things was the pumpkin tempura. It's not so healthy for you, but very delicious. I am a fan of sushi as well, though I think I like what I've eaten back home in the states more than what I've had in Hong Kong. I am sad to say that we forgot to order edamame because I love it, but I can always go again I suppose.

Now, some people would say that I've buried the lede here. Not only is it all-you-can-eat at the restaurant, but that applies to drinks, including beer and sake, as well. I tried sake for the first time since I was in high school, and I found that I still don't really like it. The taste is quite sharp, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I did have some delicious Mandarin lemon drink that was kind of like lemonade/juice. Very refreshing!


Comments

Popular Posts