Best Brownies Ever

I am not a person completely opposed to boxed cake mixes. However, when it comes to brownies, I don't think there is any recipe better than this one. It is from my mother's Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that is now in tatters--she has had it from her early married days in the '70s. But, sadly I was unable to find it on their website.

We have always used this brownie recipe in my family because they turn out so moist and dense. These brownies are the infinitely superior kind: delicious and fudgy, not cake at all cake-like. So, I decided to make them for David's birthday, which was yesterday.

And seriously, be careful not to overbake them. Here in my Hong Kong oven, I cooked them for about 25 minutes, and they could have even come out a couple of minutes before.

1/2 c butter
1 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3/4 c flour (supposedly sifted)
1/2 c chopped walnuts
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in saucepan.  Remove from heat; stir in sugar; blend in eggs one at a time; add vanilla; stir in flour and nuts; mix well.
3. Spread in greased 8x8x2 inch pan.  Bake for 30 minutes (or quite possibly less). Be careful not to overbake.

Comments

Popular Posts