Happy Turkey Day!


Here in Hong Kong, Thanksgiving is not a big deal, obviously. Some Western restaurants do have special holiday set meals on the actual day, and fancy grocery stores stock a few of the traditional items: cranberry sauce, canned pumpkin and bagged stuffing, for example.

This year, my friends and I celebrated Thanksgiving slightly late, on the Sunday afterwards. There was a crowd of about twenty I think, though only a half dozen Americans at best. Nevertheless, we had the whole spread and more: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, salad, etc. Just like last year, I brought the pumpkin pie, and once again it was a hit.

I used the traditional Libby's pumpkin recipe off the back of the can, as we always have in my family. But, without space to really roll out pie crust (not to mention the lack of a rolling pin), I bought pre-made graham cracker crusts. And because they are rather small, one pie recipe actually fills two of them.

My toaster oven isn't ideal for baking, but it does pretty darn well. It is slightly more difficult to do two pies at once, as only one can rest on a regular oven rack and the other must sit on a roasting tray. Additionally, they are both placed quite close to the heating implements this way, but with a little aluminum foil, they turned out pretty perfect. And delicious, too!

Comments

  1. Yay congrats! Pumpkin pie in a toaster oven is something to be celebrated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts