Canned Caramel, Part 2


When I was living in Marshall, I interviewed someone who described to me the process of turning a can of sweetened condensed milk into caramel by submerging it in water and boiling it for a few hours. I was intrigued by her idea and tried it (see this post from February 2010).

Now I am getting ready to make brownies for my boyfriend David's birthday this Thursday (shh, don't tell him). Cream cheese and butter are expensive here, so I was trying to think of an alternative kind of icing. Then, I wondered if some kind of condensed milk treat wasn't just the ticket.

Although the condensed milk sold here in Hong Kong is Nestle brand, at home the common one is Eagle Brand. The latter company has a really informative website with lots of recipes, as well as Usage Tips. In that section, I found their own instructions for turning the milk into caramel.

This morning, I tried the microwave process, and it seemed to work rather well, though it might've gotten slightly lumpy. Plus, I did have one instance of overflow, but I caught it in time before it got too messy. Can't wait to try my canned caramel on brownies tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts