Famous Sydney Eats


Before I went to Australia for work, I researched some restaurants I might like to try. In so doing, I learned about Harry's Cafe de Wheels, a Sydney institution famous for its pies, which now has several locations in the city.

I went to the branch in Wooloomooloo because it was a place I'd never been, which was also by the sea and wasn't too far away. Although I was tempted by a pasty, I ordered the signature 'Tiger', a pie topped with mashed potatoes, mushy peas and gravy.

Sadly, I was a bit disappointed in the pie itself. I chose the plain beef pie, as it seemed likely to be the most traditional, but the crust wasn't great and the filling was so-so. Thank goodness for the delicious toppings.


I was also excited to revisit Doyles on the Wharf, which I previously tried when I studied abroad in Sydney in 2007. After a lengthy bus journey to Watsons Bay, I was glad my fish and chips didn't take too long to arrive.

However, I was a bit disappointed in the toughness of the chips (and the lack of ketchup), though the fish was delicious. Of course, the view wasn't bad either. This time, I was glad to sit inside, not outside on the grass with all the hungry seagulls.

Comments

Popular Posts