Christmas Dinner in England


Although it's already January, I haven't yet had time to write about Christmas food in England. I actually had two Christmas meals: one a few days beforehand with David's friends and then one at home on the actual day.


With David's friends, we went to celebrity chef Marco Pierre White Steakhouse at the Hotel Indigo in Newcastle. There were 28 of us altogether! For my main, I ordered venison, as it seemed like a good opportunity to try something new. It was delicious!


In addition to a main course, we got a starter and a dessert. My sticky toffee pudding was wonderful, smothered in caramel sauce. I also enjoyed the creamy cauliflower soup (pictured above).


On Christmas Day, David's mum fixed lunch for four, featuring a turkey crown (without legs) rather than a whole turkey. It felt rather strange that my only contribution was putting confetti stars on the table, as I normally cook a lot at home. 


Overall, an English Christmas dinner seems fairly similar to an American one but with fewer casseroles, plainer vegetables, and of course Christmas pudding. Plus, their pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped with bacon, rather than biscuit dough.

Comments

Popular Posts