Pub Grub


Last time I visited England, we mainly went to pubs for drinks, but this time we also went to eat. At the The Dolphin near David's house, I ordered the small portion of mince and dumplings. I didn't quite know what to expect, but it was nicely seasoned ground beef in gravy with a 'dumpling' (quite like an American biscuit) on top, along with mashed and roasted potatoes, peas, Yorkshire pudding and parsnips.


Technically, we ate fish and chips at a fish and chip shop in Seahouses, near Bamburgh Castle; however, it is also served at pubs so is included here. Once again, I ordered the small (child's) portion, which was quite sizable and also very delicious!


Wetherspoon's is a chain of pub restaurants, which gets a bad rap for its generic-ness, similar to American-style chains like Applebee's, etc. However, as a tourist, it seemed like a good thing to try, and I enjoyed it. The food was good and the price was certainly right, though I am still happy to frequent local pubs as well.


The Red House is a pub and pie restaurant on the quayside in Newcastle. We went there before, and I was excited to go back. I wanted to try the vegetarian mushroom pie, but it wasn't available. Instead I got sausage and apple, with cheesy mashed potatoes, parsley gravy and mushy peas. It was definitely one of the best meals of the trip!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. No, I haven't! I suppose I should, but it doesn't sound very nice ...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts