Savory English Snacks


David's favorite at a late-night takeaway is cheesy chips with gravy, similar to Canadian poutine. Last time I ordered a kebab instead, but was very jealous of the cheesy gooey goodness. So this time, I got my own (though it was huge and I couldn't finish it all).


During hurried Christmas shopping, we stopped at the Grainger Market in Newcastle for a quick lunch. Although it was rather meat-heavy, I wanted to try what David ordered: a sausage sandwich. It was yummy, especially with ketchup, and doesn't seem to be an exclusively breakfast item, unlike in the US. 


We went to Greggs a few times during the holiday, but the best thing I got was the beef and vegetable pasty. It had thicker pastry on the outside than the sausage rolls or vegetable bakes, which are wrapped in puff pastry. Delightful but certainly not healthy!

Comments

Popular Posts